The top 10 e-commerce giants, Amazon far ahead

The American e-commerce platform attracts 5.6 billion customer visits each month. The United States and Europe are significant contributors to Amazon’s numbers.

Online shopping has become ubiquitous as internet access increases across the world, according to Statista.10 In 2020, more than two billion people purchased goods or services online, and over the that same year, digital retail sales worldwide topped US$4.2 trillion.11 Many consumers use their mobile devices to make purchases online.

From an e-commerce giant, Amazon has become an information technology company in recent years in 2021 the turnover of AWS was more than 62 billion dollars. By the way, did you know that a report reveals that three quarters of the mobile applications analyzed contained valid Amazon Web Services access tokens which allowed access to private AWS cloud services. The study looked at 1,859 applications accessible to the public on both Google LLC’s Android operating system and Apple’s iOS. Surprisingly, 98% of apps exposing AWS access tokens were iOS apps.

However, its grip on the online market has not loosened. According to figures available on Statista.com, Amazon attracted 5.7 billion visits per month during the month of July. The second most popular online shopping platform also comes from the United States, eBay. Originally founded in 1995, the company attracted nearly 3 billion monthly views in July.

3/ Shopee, based in Singapore with 631.2 million visits per month. Shopee, founded in 2015, mainly serves the Southeast Asian market.
4/ The Japanese Rakuten was not far behind with 590.8 million monthly visits.
5/ The Chinese giant Alibaba with AliExpress 526.4 million visits.
6/ Walmart with 514 million monthly visits
7/ Argentinian company Marcado with 447 million visits in July.
8/ Etsy is eighth with 397.5 million visits.
9/ Alibaba’s Taobao with 333.1 million visits.
10/ Wildberries, based in Russia, completes the top ten with 279.8 million visits.

Amazon Dominates

Amazon leads the market in the US, UK and Europe. In the United States, Amazon received 2.7 billion visits to be the most popular platform in the country. Additionally, Amazon received 1070 million visits in Europe and 400 million visits in the UK. eBay is the second most popular platform across all three marketplaces. In 2019 app users account for about 42% of Amazon’s smartphone visits, while Amazon.com visits account for the remaining 58%, but these app users account for nearly 85% of mobile time spent with Amazon , according to data from ComScore. Amazon app users spent an average of 12.8 billion minutes per month in the Amazon app in 2018, giving the company significantly more opportunities to make sales than mobile browser users. , who spent an average of 2.4 billion minutes on the site.

Acquisitions

Amazon’s revenue up 13% year-on-year, market capitalization down 25% year-on-year.

In 2017, Amazon paid $13.7 billion to buy Whole Foods Market, remaining its biggest acquisition to date. This corporate takeover was intended to expand Amazon’s online grocery business.

Data from Statista, CB Insights and Amazon show the deal cost $5 billion more than the MGM acquisition, Amazon’s second-largest takeover to date. In May 2021, the e-commerce giant bought the American film studio behind the James Bond franchise for $8.45 billion. The deal opened up a library of hit movies and TV shows for Amazon and bolstered its Prime video streaming service. In July this year, Amazon bought US healthcare company One Medical in a deal valued at $3.9 billion, the third-biggest acquisition to date. The deal expands Amazon’s reach into primary care, as it also operates Amazon Care, which offers virtual care and home care services to employees and businesses.

To know

  • Amazon sells over 350 million products on Amazon.
  • It’s worth noting that the bulk of Amazon’s subscription revenue comes from Prime, through which it also offers video and music streaming, free books and magazines, photo storage, and other perks. With video, music, e-books, magazines, cloud storage and other add-ons, Amazon has created a lockdown effect similar to Apple’s iOS.
  • Amazon has been one of the big winners from the coronavirus pandemic, in terms of stock prices, with a 67% increase in valuation from March 2020 to March 2021.
  • Amazon has seen huge growth in its Prime Video offering over the past three years with 175 million users
  • Amazon spent $13 billion on content for Amazon Prime Video in 2021
  • Amazon has built a rather respectable advertising platform, which it runs on its store. In 2021, it generated more revenue than PayPal or eBay.
  • Amazon controls between 67 and 85% of the e-book market

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *